Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A Contrite Final Point

I'll admit I've laid off this topic as long as possible today because, well, it's hard to look at it objectively (old journalistic habits die hard, you know).
See this earlier post from this blog and it'll be obvious why.
But it's clear Sherraine Schalm's emotional reaction to her first-round fencing loss at the Beijing Olympics to a Hungarian arch-rival in the wee hours (for those of us in the East, anyways) touched off a storm of opinion in the blogosphere (scroll down to the comments section below the story).
For what it's worth, I like seeing that kind of passion out of our athletes. I want to see them care that much and want to win that much. Whether Schalm's post-match response was over the top or out of line ... I'll leave that to you to judge. But know this much: This is a young woman who is fiercely proud to represent her country, and I guarantee you she was deeply stung by suggestions that her response shamed the red maple leaf in any way.
I imagine Schalm has lost count of how many times she's said 'I'm sorry' today. She said it to just about everybody in an interview with CBC's Scott Russell this morning; you'll probably see it all over the newspapers tomorrow.
We'll let Schalm have the last word with her latest CBC blog post.
Far as I'm concerned, she's owes us nothing more than this. If even that much.

No comments: